"All the random things in life that inspire me, some I create, some I spot and those I aspire to.
It's random, but then again, that's the point."
-SMASH

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Off_to_Guangzhou

I'm headed to Guangzhou tonight and all I can think about is the contrast that awaits me. Guangzhou is such an interesting city. There is a rich history of local artisans that have been there for ever, in some places it's like time has stood still. Generations of families have passed on traditions of their crafts and the current generation executes those tasks with precision and grace. You walk down an alley and see seamstresses set up waiting for their next sewing job. Bags and bags of rice piled high waiting for the next sale. Down these alleys and in some parts of the city people seem to be just waiting, it's like the pressures of modern life have passed them by.
Then you go one block and you stumble across internationally designed buildings and skyscrapers, and in this part of town it's like everything is moving faster than you can keep up with. Buildings are being built overnight, technology is everywhere and the speed at which people talk is lighting quick. People race past you headed to some exciting opportunity.
Being a visitor I was acutely aware of the dichotomy between the two speeds at which Guanzhou was operating. I wonder what contrasts await this trip?

Here are some photos from the last trip.






No comments:

Post a Comment